TWO WEEKS: BUSH, CAPE, GARDEN ROUTE $$$$
This itinerary has been designed for you with a focus on providing a wide and stimulating variety of activities and opportunities for the kids without compromising on the experience for the more grown-up members of the party. The two venues where you will be spending the majority of your time have dedicated childrens’ programmes which have been exceptionally well received. All have access to babysitters/ nannies as required to enable you to enjoy adult evenings as desired.
In your two weeks, you will have ample opportunity to explore the wonders of both bush and beach. Sabi Sabi is an exclusive award-winning private game reserve in the best South African game viewing region, the south west of the greater Kruger National Park at Sabi Sand.
We have chosen the Garden Route area around Plettenberg Bay for its top-class beaches and scenic beauty, but also the diversity of child friendly activities in the area, as you will see.
No trip to South Africa would be complete without some time spent in the “Mother City”, Cape Town, where you will enjoy the wonderful hospitality of the beautifully located Mount Nelson hotel on the Victoria & Albert Waterfront. From here you can ascend Table Mountain, visit Robben Island, see the penguins at Simonstown, indulge in the gastronomic wonders of the Cape...
Your trip will end here but you can arrange your flights to South Africa as “open jaw” so that you fly in to Johannesburg and out of Cape Town back to London to ensure that you bring as much of that unique African relaxation back home with you!
On arrival at Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport you will be met and escorted to the Domestic Departures facility for your shared charter flight to Sabi Sand Airstrip. The transfer is short but spectacular, and you will arrive in the bush for your first game drive - a transfer to your base for the next four nights, Sabi Sabi’s Bush Lodge.
For decades Bush Lodge has been Sabi Sabi's flagship lodge, famed for its warmth, vibrancy and legendary hospitality. A favourite amongst travellers in search of luxury accommodation, Bush Lodge is a luxurious safari escape set in the heart of the Sabi Sabi bushveld. It overlooks a waterhole and savannah plains, and there is plenty of scope for game viewing from the lodge itself.
Bush Lodge's charm is evident from the outset. Here you will savour uncompromising high standards of service, efficiency and personalised attention.
Each of the 25 spacious, air-conditioned thatched suites is beautifully appointed, featuring exquisite ethnic décor in keeping with the bushveld environment. The en-suite bathrooms feature al-fresco showers affording wonderful views of the bushveld (there are glass-walled showers inside each suite for the less wild at heart).
Huge viewing decks are the ideal setting to relax while spotting game, bird watching, or cooling off in the filtered pools. Meals, including the wonderful dinners in the open air boma, are heralded by blasts on a kudu horn, a summoning to delicious food. This luxury safari lodge also features artistically designed open courtyards with spectacular wooden carvings by renowned South African sculptors, created from uprooted trees and wood salvaged from the surrounding bushveld.
Today you will enjoy your first full-length Game Drives in specialist open safari vehicles through the Sabi Sand Game Reserve. These take place in the early morning and later afternoon to match the patterns of maximum animal activity in the heat of the day. The children will also experience the first of the wonderful activities in store for them
THE SABI SABI SAFARI EXPERIENCE
Southern Africa captivates everyone who is lucky enough to experience its power and magic. Sabi Sabi's four luxury safari lodges are located in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve which is geographically integrated with the Kruger National Park. The Reserve is unfenced with the Kruger, allowing the game to roam freely. It enjoys two of only five perennial rivers in the Kruger (itself the size of Wales). These rivers give this area its name.
Sabi Sabi epitomises Africa's magic. Big game abounds, moving freely through this unspoiled part of the ancient African continent. The Reserve is blessed with a great biodiversity of habitat and wildlife giving an excellent chance of close encounters with the 'Big Five' - elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion and leopard - as well as wild dog and cheetah. With over 300 bird species, the reserve is a birdwatcher's delight.
Today you’ll spend enjoying the game activities whilst the kids get really stuck into the leisure activities on offer. We really recommend getting off the vehicle to go for a bush walk with your armed ranger.
ELEFUN CENTRE AT BUSH LODGE
Families with children have always been welcomed at Sabi Sabi's Bush Lodge. Now the family experience reaches a new level with the opening of the EleFun Centre, a fully-fledged children's facility within the lodge environs which fosters children's awareness and appreciation of nature.
The recently completed centre was designed by childcare professionals who set about creating a space that is fun, safe and educational. The EleFun Centre offers hands-on, interactive activities designed for 2 distinctly different age groups. The Junior Tracker programme is for 4 to 8 year olds, and the Junior Ranger programme is for children between the ages of 9 and 12.
The Elefun Centre is filled with learning opportunities which all of Sabi Sabi's young visitors have the chance to experience. Age-appropriate bushveld themed activities and 'edutainment' are designed and supervised by qualified staff, and include bushcraft subjects - animals, bugs and birds, tracking, map-reading - a long list of environmentally sensitive subjects that every child will find fascinating.
There is time for creative hobbies, arts and crafts, and the afternoon sessions are for fun-filled bushveld games, bush walks and talks, as well as specially planned children's game drives.
The beautifully designed centre also includes a wonderful, secure, outdoor play area. While set itineraries will take place every morning and afternoon, the children will also be welcome to enjoy the facility between formal sessions. Mums and dads can relax and enjoy the incredible safaris, get pampered in the spa, or just kick back and enjoy some private time, knowing that their children are revelling in their own special bushveld experience.
Today is your last full day to enjoy all the amenities that Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge has to offer. Don’t forget the spa!
AMANI SPA AT BUSH LODGE
Treat yourself to the health and luxury you deserve at the Amani Spa at Bush Lodge. The perfect place to rest and relax,haven of tranquillity offers the ultimate African Spa experience. Indulge in holistic body, skin and beauty rituals, rejuvenating massages and soothing treatments uniquely designed to relax the spirit, harmonise the body, preserve youth and enhance health and vitality.
Amani Spa at Bush Lodge aims to create magical moments and turn them into special memories. Revel in individually designed treatment packages for all occasions - honeymoon, birthday or anniversary. Share the spa experience with your partner in the couple's treatment suite. Or simply indulge yourself because you deserve it!
The award-winning Amani Spa Group uses Africology skin and body products. This specialised South African product range has been created using the highest quality natural essential oils, blended with active therapeutic extracts from the indigenous Marula tree, Rooibos, African Potato and Aloe Vera plants. Africology is an anti-ageing skincare system suitable for use on all skin types.
After breakfast you will be transferred back to Sabi Airport where you will catch your flight back to Johannesburg. Once you have arrived at Johannesburg you will board your flight to Port Elizabeth. On arrival In Port Elizabeth you will collect your rented vehicle at the airport and drive yourselves through the glorious Tsitsikamma National Park to Plettenberg Bay, where you will check into Kurland Hotel.
Kurland Hotel is a delightful five star Relais & Chateaux property near the picturesque beach resorts of Plettenberg Bay and Nature’s Valley, in the heart of the Garden Route in South Africa.
This Tatler award winning small luxury hotel has just 12 suites, and has acquired a reputation as an exclusive hideaway. Kurland Hotel is located on a vast 700 hectare (1700 acre) estate of great natural beauty, between the mountains and the pristine beaches of Nature’s Valley. The vistas are breathtaking.
|Kurland has been designed with exceptional facilities for family holidays, and enjoys a Mediterranean climate, which makes this the ideal year round destination for fun vacations and family reunions. Once they have experienced Kurland, families from around the world return again.
Kurland’s philosophy for a great vacation is simple... a passion for good old-fashioned R&R. There are wonderful facilities dedicated to the kids.
The luxury Spa is an intimate sanctuary of calm. What more refreshing way to unwind upon arrival or for a little self-indulgence during your stay. The Spa facilities include a private steam room, sauna room, therapy rooms, a relaxation area, a gym and a refreshing plunge pool.
The Kurland is a venue for polo matches - take a quad bike (free) and head up to the pavilion to have a look around. There are ponies available for rides, including Shetlands for your older one, and casual lessons for adults of all levels of riding experience.
Family reviews of the Kurland on TripAdvisor
- “Probably the best family hotel in the world!!”
- “Brilliant brilliant place!”
- “The children have gone to heaven and back!”
During your time at Kurland, the staff at Kurland will go out of their way to entertain the children.
Very Important Kids
The Kurland Hotel has been designed with excellent children’s facilities. You’ll have access to imaginative activities specifically tailored to children of all ages. The extensive Young Guest’s facilities are cleverly designed to be tucked away from other guests. Lofts have been created above the main suites, and are fitted with 2 or 3 or if required 4 beds. Each has its own play area, toys and en suite bathrooms. Kurland Hotel is a safe haven that allows the children to have their own Relais and Chateaux luxury vacation.
Children can dine in their own Children’s Dining Conservatory, The Playroom, in the convenience of their own room or by invitation at the exclusive Chef’s Table in the kitchen. Experienced nannies ensure parents can relax in the knowledge that their children are looked after in a safe environment.
“Bring the kids along on your trip to South Africa... Children will leave Kurland with many special memories of a ‘fun in the sun’ beach holiday in Plettenberg Bay that will last a lifetime.”
- Edward Heathcoat Amory, Daily Mail
Kurland hotel is situated in the heart of the Garden Routes Eco-Tourist Attractions; choose as few or as many as you like to enjoy during your stay. Our suggestions follow.
LAWNWOOD SNAKE SANCTUARY
With its important dual role of conservation and education, this facility showcases over 100 snakes to the public and offers valuable familiarisation courses for those who come across reptiles in their daily activities. Experience a one hour guided tour consisting of a indigenous snake pit, a Boomslang exhibit, a Monitor Lizard enclosure, a large dome housing South African and exotic snakes, and the huge Python room housing constrictors.
Monkeyland opened its doors to the public on the 6th of April 1998. This unique primate sanctuary is currently the top eco-tourism attraction on the Garden Route and for very sound and sunny reasons.
Monkeyland has captured the hearts of visitors in its efforts to rehabilitate and free previously caged primates. The sanctuary is exceptional as it caters for several species of primates who are not caged. They are free to move about the forest and this they do most harmoniously.
BIRDS OF EDEN, FREE FLIGHT BIRD SANCTUARY
Birds of Eden boasts its own 138m long canopy walk, hanging above the clouds. Currently over 3500 birds live at the sanctuary.
The unique two hectare dome (the World’s largest) spans over a gorge of indigenous forest. The sanctuary has its own mysterious ruin, which incorporates a walk-behind waterfall. Another feature is its amphitheatre, which has the ability to seat over 200 visitors.
The decision to develop Birds of Eden stems from the need to create a safe environment in which to release a large collection of free-flight African birds, miniature monkeys and the sanctuary also enables bird owners to apply to release their pet birds into the sanctuary, after undergoing rehabilitation.
THE ELEPHANT SANCTUARY
The Elephant Sanctuary provides a safe haven for its elephants and offers a unique platform for guest education and interaction. The most important part of the operation is to ensure happy elephants and satisfied guests. The close encounter with elephants you experience at The Elephant Sanctuary truly is one of a kind.
All the elephants are African Elephants (Loxodonta Africana) whose trust has been gained through our unique reward based training. We believe in forming bonds between humans and elephants. To this end, all our elephants are exercised and stimulated daily, which provides a firm foundation for trust.
The Elephant Sanctuary is a family orientated operation catering for both young and old. We focus on education through interaction, so you will not only learn a lot about elephants, but also get to touch, feel, feed, walk trunk-in-hand and even ride these magnificent animals. Elephants are highly intelligent and delightful – when meeting them you will discover that each one has a different character, personality and temperament.
Whilst in the Garden Route there are many beautiful beaches to choose from. Nature’s Valley is the closest to your hotel and is arguably one of the most beautiful beaches in the country. It is great for kids as the lagoon offers safe swimming for them.
After breakfast you will drive yourselves from Plettenberg Bay to Knysna before continuing onto George where you will stay over at Fancourt before reaching Cape Town.
Set in the heart of South Africa’s Garden Route, with its three Gary Player-designed golf courses and the only “TaylorMade” Performance Lab in Africa, Fancourt is a premier leisure destination. This five-star resort has 135 luxury rooms, Conference Centre, Spa, and a variety of delectable restaurants.
Fancourt's Garden Suites and Studios offer guests the chance to rest in a peaceful garden setting.
Today can be spent at leisure enjoying a round of golf, the Spa or playing in the kids club. Fancourt is South Africa’s premier golf resort, featuring three highly rated Championship golf courses, where play is restricted to Members, their guests and hotel guests.
Kids ClubThe Kids Club offers fully supervised fun activities for children aged 3 - 10 years including arts and crafts, nature walks and board games. The Kids Club staff are all highly qualified and experienced. This area also has an indoor jungle gym and various children's toys to keep the youngsters amused.
Additional children's activities
- Outdoor jungle gym - fully fenced with a two wooden jungle gyms and much more
- Indoor heated swimming pool and baby pool
- Cinema - a big-screen cinema showing a selection of over 50 movies, screened at your convenience
- Tennis courts - tennis racquets for hire & coaching available
- Bicycles - all sizes for hire
- Golf Academy - children's lessons from age 7 yrs and up - golf clubs available as well as half hour or full hour sessions
Fancourt’s Outeniqua and Montagu golf courses have matured and developed into two of the finest 18-hole parkland layouts in the country. A round on either is a special experience, sculpted and finished as they are, with rare attention to detail and designed with the coastal George winds in mind.
The Links (click) at Fancourt were added in 2000, an awe-inspiring example of magnificent design and golf-course construction
“Links golf is how the game originated and at The Links we take golfers back to the roots of golf – and they can play a ‘British Open’ all of their own!” - Gary Player, designer
In addition to three golf courses suited to every type of golfer, Fancourt has an exceptional golf academy that houses a Taylormade Performance Lab and state-of-the-art practice and teaching facilities, backed up by the expertise of PGA professionals. To keep golfers looking the part, there are two well-stocked pro shops, offering a wide variety of men’s and women’s golf clothing, accessories and hardware.
Away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, you can relax and be pampered in truly beautiful surroundings, enjoying an exclusive range of therapies, treatments and leisure activities. Luxury goes hand in hand with first-class treatments, equipment and professionalism. Enjoy a gentle swim in the heated Roman Bath, with magnificent vistas of the Outeniqua Mountains, or visit the sauna, steam rooms, chilled plunge pool, tepidarium, Jacuzzi or fully equipped gym staffed by personal trainers. There is a hair salon here.
After breakfast you will drive yourselves the four hours to Cape Town. On arrival check into the Mount Nelson Hotel and spend the afternoon at leisure. Mount Nelson Hotel is the leading family friendly hotel in Cape Town. The nine acre garden setting provides the ideal environment for children to run free, while parents unwind with complete peace of mind.
Set in a lush garden estate at the heart of Cape Town, the Mount Nelson Hotel is an iconic property that encapsulates the true spirit of Orient-Express. Its romantic heritage recalls the days of great ocean liners and high tea on the veranda, while its contemporary dining scene adds a lively buzz. Situated close by Table Mountain and Cape Town’s spectacular beaches, it offers easy access to all that’s happening in this vibrant city, while its gardens and spa are an oasis of calm. There are complimentary chauffered transfers to certain locations.
The Deluxe Rooms have an understated charm, complemented by modern luxury for the discerning traveller. They are larger in size than Superior Rooms, with more spacious sitting areas and offer a choice of twin or king-size beds. Most rooms offer a view of our magnificent gardens, Table Mountain or a balcony overlooking the fountain courtyard.
The children’s facilities and special amenities include:
- Children’s welcome letters crammed with fun ideas for things to do in Cape Town
- An exciting activity programme which includes cricket matches, face painting, story-telling, swimming, games and treasure hunts
- Children’s yoga classes at the Yoga Bliss studio
- Librisa Spa offers a wide range of fun treatments specially designed for children
- Children’s menus in our restaurants and a special children's in-room dining menu
- Complimentary milk and cookies at bedtime
- Child-size bathrobes and slippers
- Baby cots and/or extra beds with specially fitted linen.
There is much to see and do in Cape Town such as visiting Cape Point and The Penguin Colony at Simonstown, Imhof Farm in Noordhoek, Table Mountain Cable Way, the V&A Waterfront, the Two Oceans Aquarium and boat rides to Robben Island to name a few.
Today will be spent at leisure enjoying one of the many activities on offer in Cape Town.
After breakfast you will check out of the Mount Nelson and drive yourselves to the Cape Town International Airport where you will catch your flight back home.
For Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge:
- Land Rover safaris by day and at night to see Africa’s big game, accompanied by qualified rangers and trackers
- environmental awareness walking safaris
- breakfast, lunch and “boma” dinner
- house selection of beverages, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, teas, coffees etc
- Government Taxes
- A fine selection of sundowner drinks during your evening safari Return transfers from the Sabi Sabi Airstrip.
For Kurland Hotel:
- Full breakfast
- All non-alcoholic beverages
- Teas and coffees
- Kurland Spa (sauna, steam room and gym)
- 24 hour internet access in the library
- Quad bikes (motorized 4 wheel motorbikes)
- Mountain bikes
- Tennis courts
- Café Complete every day consisting of tea, coffee, cakes and pastries served on the verandah
- Tea and coffee delivered to room with wake-up call on request
- Children’s Shetland pony rides (aged 1 – 6)
- Rates include tourism levy at prevailing National rate (1%) and VAT at 14%.
- Bed and breakfast
- Tourism Levy & Government Taxes.
For The Mount Nelson:
- Daily buffet breakfast served in the hotel restaurant
- All applicable room and occupancy taxes
- Complimentary Luxury Chauffeur driven transfers to Table Mountain Cable way and Camps Bay beaches, subject to availability
- Complimentary internet access for the duration of stay
- Use of Business Centre
- Bottled water on turn down
- Gymnasium with 24 hour access and state of the art facilities
- Secure undercover parking on site
- Local newspapers and condensed version of New York Times on request
- The use of the sauna, steam room and plunge pool within the Librisa Spa
- Use of double floodlit tennis courts and two heated swimming pools on site.
- Scheduled flight with Bateleur Air Charters, O.R. Tambo to Sabi return
- Scheduled domestic airline flights O.R. Tambo to Port Elizabeth one way.
- Toyota Quantum 10 Seater for 9 days, admin charges, one way drop off, “Super Cover” insurance including TLW, CDW and PAI, Europ Assist, Airport Surcharge, Tourism Levy @ 14%, unlimited mileage, maps and driving directions
For Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge:
- Spa treatments
- Cellar wine collection
- Premium brand beverages
- Curio shop purchases
- Telephone calls
For Kurland Hotel:
- Lunches and dinner
- Alcoholic drinks
- Horse riding at R150 per hour (adults and children’s rides other than on Shetland ponies)
- Personal extras
- Additional meals
- Spa treatments
- Additional extras.
or The Mount Nelson:
- Additional meals
- Items of a personal nature.
- Refundable R2000 deposit to be held against your credit card
- Additional drivers
- Car seats (we will check the prevailing rates and let you know)
For Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge:
- Children between the age of 3 and 6 years may only accompany their parents / guardians on safari if there is exclusive use of a safari vehicle. The usage of an exclusive vehicle is subject to availability, a surcharge and restrictions at sightings due to possible disturbance to animals and/or guests on other vehicles.
- If Land Rover exclusivity is required and there are less than 6 people on the Land Rover a surcharge will be levied at R950-00 per unoccupied seat per day.
- Land Rover exclusivity is subject to availability.
- Land Rover exclusivity must be pre-booked and the surcharge, where applicable, will be charged to the extras account.
- Children 5 years and younger will not be allowed in the boma for dinner. Dinner will be arranged in the Safari Lounge between 17h00 and 19h00. Breakfast and lunch as per normal with parents / guardians.
For Kurland Hotel:
- Luxury Room with Loft: Accommodates 2 adults (downstairs) and 2 children (loft). Rooms have a private courtyard and a patio. 2 rooms: internal staircase to the loft. 4 rooms: external staircase to the loft. The two Luxury rooms with internal lofts interlead into each other.
- Only one child is permitted to share the room with parents, two or more children will be required to take their own room. Interleading rooms are available on request.
For The Mount Nelson:
- Children will be awarded a complimentary room, inter-connected rooms are available on request.
- All flight rates are an estimate and are subject to change.
- Should the vehicle be returned at a later time than it was collected an additional day’s rental will be charged.
- Take special care in the pre and post vehicle checks
Per person sharing: From R40,000